“Please, God! Please, give me long and luscious hair by the time I wake up tomorrow morning!” How many times have you made this same prayer before going to bed? Because I lost count a long time back. But here’s the thing – you can get beautiful long hair within a few hours without going through the trouble of growing it yourself. The answer? Hair extensions, of course!
Many women get swayed by the magical transformation that hair extensions promise. But there’s a dark side to this wondrous invention that is not often discussed. Yes, you heard me right. There are some serious cons that you need to be aware of before booking an appointment with your hairdresser.
But before we get into the pros and cons of hair extensions, let’s talk about what they actually are and what you must keep in mind before getting them.
What Are Hair Extensions?
Hair extensions are also known as hair integrations. They are used to add to the length and volume of one’s hair. They can be made of natural or synthetic hair. Virgin natural hair extensions are the best quality (and the most expensive, of course) as the cuticle of the natural hair is preserved and all the hair runs in one direction, giving it the most natural look. If you are tight on your budget, synthetic hair extensions are a cheaper option. Though they are not great for heat styling and tangle quite easily, synthetic extensions are good for anyone who wants a temporary change in style. They also do not require as much maintenance on your part as natural hair extensions do.
Reasons To Go For Hair Extensions
There can be various reasons for someone to go in for hair extensions.
- Those who do not have good hair growth can go for these to add extra length to their hair
- It can be used to get a new look like a fringe or a particular cut
- Add some bounce to your regular hair
- Add some color in your hair without using chemical colors
Things To Keep In Mind Before Getting Hair Extensions
If you are interested in adding a few strands of extra hair to your natural mane, there are a few things that you need to keep in mind before getting the procedure done.
- Always get the hair extensions placed in your hair with the help of a professional stylist. Some of the extensions might look easy enough to do by yourself, but doing so can definitely harm your hair.
- The extensions that you place in should not be too tight. If you are experiencing any sort of pain or discomfort, immediately talk to your hair stylist and get it rectified.
- Always go for extensions that are of good quality, even though they might be more expensive. You don’t want accessories in your hair that can cause damage later.
- Remember to take care of your natural hair. Hair that is damaged cannot bear much styling, even if it is only hair extensions. Oil your hair regularly, go for regular treatments and take good care of it.